Ombudsman & regulators

Adjudicator's Office

The Adjudicator acts as a fair and unbiased referee looking into complaints about HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and The Insolvency Service, across the United Kingdom.
Tel: 0300 057 1111

British & Irish Ombudsman Association

Lists all ombudsmen and complaint handling bodies in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Equality advisory service

Expert information, advice and support on discrimination and human rights issues and the applicable law.
Tel: 0808 800 0082
Textphone: 0808 800 0084

Financial Ombudsman Service

For complaints about banks, building societies, loans and credit, hire-purchase, mortgages, insurance, investments, endowment policies and pensions.
Tel: 0845 023 4 567
Tel: 0300 123 9 123

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

Regulator for financial services such as banks and credit companies, insurance companies and mortgage lenders.
Tel: 0800 111 6768

Financial Services Compensation Scheme

An independent organisation which pays compensation if you have a claim against firms authorised by the FCA.
Tel: 020 7741 4100
Tel: 0800 678 1100

Local Government Ombudsman

Looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including education admissions appeal panels and adult social care providers (such as care homes and home care providers).
Tel: 0300 061 0614

Office of Communications (OFCOM)

An independent organisation which regulates phone, television, radio and postal services.
Tel: 020 7981 3040
Tel: 0300 123 3333  
Textphone: 020 7981 3043

Office of Water services (Ofwat)

An independent organisation which regulates water companies.

Ombudsman Services

Provides dispute resolution for the communications, energy, property, and copyright licencing industries.
Tel: 0330 440 1614
Tel: 01925 430049

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Investigates complaints from individuals who feel they have been treated unfairly or have received poor service from government departments and other public organisations and the NHS in England.
Tel: 0345 015 4033

The Consumer Council for Water

The independent representative of water consumers.
Tel: 0121 345 1000
Textphone: 18001 0121 345 1000

The Information Commission

Upholds information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.

The Legal Ombudsman  

Investigates complaints against legal professionals and legal practices in England and Wales.
Tel: 0300 555 0333
Textphone: 0300 555 0333


We have a range of guides and factsheets to help you with family, consumer, wills, probate, motoring, property and employment matters.

View online guides