Gift Aid

If you pay tax in the UK your donation may be eligible for Gift Aid, which means that the amount we receive is increased by 25%. Find out more below.

Thank you for your support.

If you are an eligible UK taxpayer, please don't forget to add Gift Aid to your donation. Gift Aid enables charities to claim the basic rate tax supporters have already paid on their donations. Gift Aid will increase the value of your donation by 20% but it won't cost you a penny more.

Guidance from HMRC on Gift Aid

Visit the Gift Aid section of the HMRC website for more information

How Gift Aid works

The Gift Aid scheme is for gifts of money by individuals who pay UK tax. Gift Aid donations are regarded as having basic rate tax deducted by the donor. Charities or CASCs take your donation - which is money you've already paid tax on - and reclaim the basic rate tax from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on its 'gross' equivalent - the amount before basic rate tax was deducted. Basic rate tax is 20 per cent, so this means that if you give £10 using Gift Aid, it’s worth £12.50 to the charity. 

Currently only your surname and initials are required if you want to add Gift Aid to your donation. Please note that from April 2019, HMRC guidance will be amended to require a donor to supply their full first name, surname and postcode for Gift Aid to be added to the donation.  

Making sure you’ve paid enough tax to use Gift Aid

You can use Gift Aid if the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you’ve paid for the tax year in which you make your donation is at least equal to the amount of basic rate tax the charity or CASC and any other charities or CASCs you donate to will reclaim on your gift. A tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next. If you make a number of Gift Aid donations, you will need to consider the tax you’ve paid on each donation on an accumulative basis. If you don’t pay enough tax you will need to pay any shortfall in tax to HMRC.
You don’t necessarily have to be working to be paying tax. Apart from tax on income from a job or self-employment, the tax you’ve paid could include:

  • tax deducted at source from savings interest
  • tax on State Pension and/or other pensions
  • tax on investment or rental income (including tax credits on UK dividends)
  • Capital Gains Tax on gains

Other taxes such as VAT and Council tax do not qualify, nor does any non-UK tax.

How to check if you’ve paid enough tax

To work out if you’ve paid enough tax to cover your donations, divide the donation value by four. For example, if you give £100 in a particular tax year you will need to have paid £25 tax over that period. (£100/4 = £25). (Note that this calculation is based on the basic rate tax of 20 per cent)
If you don’t think you've paid enough tax this year, you may be able to carry back your donation to the previous tax year.


You can make a donation by visiting our Virgin Money Giving page.

Donate now